Hello again from Sam the Furnace Man, with a helpful air conditioner service alert. Showtime is here! Summer is upon us, and some businesses combine bait and switch with a lack of knowledge, creating a homeowner scam. It never fails! Each year I will see the Facebook ads or hear on the street how the “AC tune up” or “service” deal is the launching pad for a monetary scam of homeowners. Here are five plain truths about this :
- The average outdoor condenser (air conditioner or heat pump) contains absolutely no serviceable parts.
- It is impossible to check a refrigerant level in those units correctly with ambient or outside temperatures in the 70s or under.
- It is rare that the outdoor coil could have enough debris or lint from a dryer exhaust to warrant a cleaning.
- Controls and parts such as contractors, capacitors, hard start kits or relays are a scammer’s favorite way to charge you more. They’ll say it is because they are “weak or failing”. Therefore, their so called tune up or service call now becomes a costly bill.
- Freon or refrigerant is not “sold by the pound”. This is ludicrous, since it is never scaled in to charge a unit which is low on freon! Their gauges only can test system PSI, and not pound weight of chemical added. A technician must use a scale.
The so called technicians from other companies could be felons, abusers, or simply not qualified. My state licenses ensure that I could not hire them, even if I wanted to! State background checks are mandatory, and my employees must complete a minimum of 10 hours of annual continuing education. They also must carry one million dollars of liability insurance.
Air conditioner service from a pro you can trust!
Lastly, you need the one and only state tested and licensed HVAC contractor I know who also works out in the field! Contact me, Sam the Furnace Man!